Monday, July 24, 2006

" three things turned four "

---

the merry ole land of manhattan once again proves that within its borders lie a completely normal and astounding moment:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

- while walking out from the L train up to the street at Union Square, a man was walking towards me. he had on a dirty beige and 50's green weave tweed suit; the lapels worn through with repeated adjustment over the years of use.

- as we became closer together, in my head i thought to myself that i would collide with his left arm if i didn't move soon. i shifted to my right, but there was a woman that i neglected to see due to poor and of-the-moment bilndspot vision.

- the meeting of his arm and my body was immanent.

- but then the most curious thing happened. i braced for the soft impact and all i felt was a shiver and the gentle swipe of suit material across my side-front.

- the man had no left arm. his ghostly appendage passed through me with the natural motion of beforehand knowledge, and i was instantly shocked at the lack of his corporeal being.

---

1 comment:

VVM said...

I remembered this post earlier today and just reread it and I think it's one of the most vivid things I've ever read. It struck me all at once; I felt your shock absolutely. It's beautiful.

V