Monday, December 06, 2004

" gotta get some sleep "

---

you're wondering why i look like shit. you're asking yourself "jeebus almighty! what the hell is wrong with your face, son?" no, no. it's a perfectly valid question. i mean, if i saw me the way you do, i'd most likely look all cock-eyed and crazy at me too. it's a fair judgment.

i went to bed feeling like shit at 4am; the work load on the "day off" was detailed and insurmountable. and yet i tried.

then, later this morning, as if some cruel joke on a good-night's rest, the sun woke me up at approximately 8:30am. this was followed by a call from my boss, to come take photographs of the latest fashion conquests from her latest business trip to hong kong.

i never mind the any of the many different attributes of my work here, due to the fact that i am able to endeavor and be patient, but i caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and had to document my state of being of that particular moment. it scared me.

- the shaggidy dog look -

- (c) baystar 2004 -

my shirt is a pastel yellow, clean, and freshly pressed. my hair is sticking straight up of it's own accord and leans to the left slightly at an angle; as if a mass of tender willow reeds, gently bending in the breeze of a twilight gale. my face is well-past the asian standard of the five o'clock shadow. by the look and feel of it, i'd guess safely that my face in this photo is set to eleven forty-five in the PM.

it's okay to recoil in horror, or cover your eyes in shock. i know what i look like.

the other day i was watching HERO, director zhang yimou's first attempt at the martial arts genre, and saw some odd similarities with tony leung chiu-wai: the slight wideness in the nose, the eyelids, or lack thereof on one, the look of the facial hair and the cheekbone structure.

i never thought about it before, but i never figured i looked like anyone other than myself. to see facets of yourself in the genetic traits of other people (well, other than your blood-family members) is sort of surprising.

in light of almost scaring myself to death with my own deplorable beastly appearance, i guess i am going to have to work on believing that he looks like me, more than i look like him. i mean, wouldn't that be weird if someone else agreed with me about looking sorta like him?

i never had the chance to immediately think up of someone that i look most like, celebrity-wise. in fact i'm sure that you've seen me embarrass myself at your parties; i was the kid who yelled out that i looked like my mom. well, it true you know. i really do, honest.

so here's to showers and shaves. may they bring me a more magnetic quality in the days which follow, than how i happened to look today.

---

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

no, no, no, you do NOT look like the afore said at all.

baystar23 said...

---

wait, wait wait; you mean i don't look like i slept underneath a bus, or i don't look like tony leung chiu-wai? cause i'm all about the bus deal. the celeb reference is just on some specific facial features, but it's not like i want to be him.....um, yeah. that's all i gots.

---

Anonymous said...

oh, you look like you slept under a bus alright.