Monday, June 28, 2004

" the story of your life "

---

i was born in san francisco, california on a monday. i have the memory of being in a plastic box and seeing people looking in on me. i wondered what was going on. is this how everyone behaves and interacts?

i remember when i was young, i learned how to be afraid. i was playing underneath the house in thailand, and everything was hot around me. i heard the growl of a dun beast to my back, and i knew it could smell me. it gave chase and i ran.

i once lived in an apartment and took my baths in a blue plastic tum which hung on the shower head. things were nice and i was happy.

i learned how to drive when i was 12. my mom would let me get behyind the wheel, and she taught me how to operate my favorite car; a 1982 BMW 528e. before long, i was able to drive with the respect for the death machinery, and i have been driving ever since, some even say as good as the oldest man in the world!

i remember sitting in the ocean on a sunny day. the weather had been great and i had went to the beach with a few friends of mine, instead of going to calculus class. we laughed all day, and ate a watermelon. i love the sound of the fruit breaking open; the deft cracking of the thick rind coupled with the sweet flesh it yielded.

i remember sleeping like a stone.

i remember painting with my fingers.

i remember feeling rejection for the first time.

i remember the color of the sky when i first fell in love.

i remember discovering music.

i remember being embarassed.

i remember the last time i kissed someone.

i remember who i am, and know where i want to go.

i remember all of these things and i recollect daily and at odd times in order so that i can go on with my life.

homework for next month:

find your favorite memory, and go out into the world, and try to recreate the moment through photographic processes. see what comes out, then write a brief reflection on a small piece of paper. take it to the ocean and burn it at the shoreline. then sit and absorb the sun for two hours.

---

No comments: