Saturday, November 27, 2004

" story # 2: skeleton jacket "

---

i am giving myself a head massage. it's 2 in the morning and we're driving down to the south. outside, the winds are blowing softly and drizzle is dappling the windows in a dazzling spray.

i am closing my eyes and feeling the places where my skull sinks and dips; the slight protrusions of the ocular sockets, the mandible and how it juts, the cheekbones beneath the skin.

you gotta think about the fact that there's a skeleton in there, somewhere among and below the layers of thin flesh. somehow, it's all connected. all of this raw material somehow clings to this structure of white bone.

i start to think about how you have to take care of this frame, because hey, skeletons get cold sometimes. the bumps in the road cause my body to jerk and shift, and the rain starts to come down harder i turn my attention to nodding off at an awkward angle.

---

No comments: